tml Tips for Using Cloth Diapers During Medical Imaging – Mama Banana's Adventures

Tips for Using Cloth Diapers During Medical Imaging

While preparing for my son’s doctor appointment, I pack a bag, take snacks and make sure he’s wearing his favorite cloth diaper. I love taking cloth diapers and sharing our favorite prints with the medical staff at Children’s Hospital. Chances are my son will be seen in his diaper by nurses, students, specialists, x-ray techs and anyone else he passes running up and down the halls. I have learned a few things about taking cloth to hospitals and medical tests. Sometimes I’m educating staff! Here are a few tips for using cloth diapers during medical imaging. Did you know that not all Cloth Diapers can be Used in an X-Ray or MRI Machine? Here’s a bit from our adventures:

When we went for my son’s first x-rays, we were caught off guard. I didn’t expect to have medical tests done that day and I thought his WAHM cloth diaper was fine. I was wrong! For X-Ray machines, snaps are a no-no. Apparently, if they are within view of the image, they show up on film. I didn’t think this was possible since they’re not metal, but we have been told by several x-ray departments that the snap material is thick or dense enough to show up on film. My son typically has his thigh bone, pelvis and knee x-rayed and I prefer for him to have something on for it.
      What is a cloth diapering Mom to do? On X-ray day we take an aplix/velcro diaper without rise snaps and use velcro or aplix. Keep in mind that the no-snap policy applies to inserts too. If you use AI2s or pockets with snap-in inserts, or inserts with snaps like the Bum Genuis 4.0s microfiber inserts, you’ll have to use a prefold or other snap-free insert for the photo. You can always change back after testing is done. It’s nice to avoid the disposable and have baby or toddler feel as normal as possible. I tell my son to “say cheese” and he’s under the impression that his photo is being taken…which is partially true!
     Before our first MRI I contacted the imaging center. After learning that my 2 year old couldn’t wear snaps into an x-ray, I wanted to ask ahead of time. The MRI tech told us that snaps were fine for MRI! As long as the diaper didn’t have any metal that could be magnetized by the machine, the diaper was fine. I’ve thought about this for awhile, and while I don’t believe any of our diapers have metal…I realize that it could be a possibility for an embellishment, functional part or label. Brands such as Fuzzibunz and SoftBottoms have a metal spring adjustment for hidden elastic that would be a no no, but out other brands are fine.  For MRI images, we take my son’s favorite crayon diapers (with snaps) and he gets to show his favorite hand made cloth to anyone who walks by!
     My son underwent surgery after just turning two. I was able to take his favorite cloth diapers to Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP) and use them right away. I was surprised, but also pleased, that nursing took a completely hands off approach to his care and didn’t make any attempts to change his diapers. I think that they assumed that between me, my husband and Grandma and Pop present we had it covered. If you’re unsure about a hospital’s policy, make sure to call ahead of time.
     If you’re having a wrist x-rayed, a diaper shouldn’t matter, but for some facilities policies are policies. I have been both pleasantly surprised by the knowledge some staff, and also disappointed by some who are encountering cloth for the first time…and insist we need a disposable. I let them know that our diapers have many of the same materials that clothes already listed as safe for use within the machine do. If materials like the elastic in athletic pants, regular underwear and shirts without snaps are okay, then my cloth is too! Educating staff and getting cloth added to the ‘okay’ list will not only help my family on our next trip, but will also hopefully help the next cloth diapering family and perhaps make their day a bit easier.
      If you’re just starting your medical journey, or are already pros I’d love your input too! As always, thanks for stopping by. I really appreciate a follow on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram and love to network on Google and LinkedIn. Companies care about these numbers when deciding which bloggers to select to review products etc. So thank you for following! Want to work together? E-mail MamaBananasAdventures@gmail.com

8 thoughts on “Tips for Using Cloth Diapers During Medical Imaging

• September 14, 2016 at 8:35 pm

I'm a radiographer if your getting an xray of the abdomen, pelvis, hip, or femur, I would have the pt remove the cloth diaper regardless of metal. Even though it's not metal the hook and loop and plastic buttons will produce artifact on the image! Even a thin elastic waist band will show up on the xray. Our job is to get the best image possible for the radiologist. I'd personally rather get a good image the first time without the diaper rather than risk having to re-radiate the pt. Every tech and facility will vary on what they do in this situation. CT on the other hand as long as it's not metal it's just fine left on.

• September 14, 2016 at 8:35 pm

• September 14, 2016 at 8:35 pm

As a radiology technologist, in the digital age, digital picks up almost everything, including plastic buttons and snaps, and we don't want the radiologist thinking those are something inside the person, so we move them. I sometimes just have people remove a diaper if it's in the area I'm imaging (thins goes for disposables too, as a wet disposable is not pretty on an x-ray…). As for MRI or CT any cloth diaper would be acceptable as long as there is no metal on them. CD is a very gray area yet to people, but it's up to us to educate them! I highly doubt most xray departments even have a protocol on them and you're relying on the person who you asks knowledge or ignorance on CD. Hope this helps!

• September 14, 2016 at 8:35 pm

• September 14, 2016 at 8:35 pm

Wow, I never thought about the plastic snaps being a problem for imaging equipment (although I would think it would only be a problem for x-rays of that area, I've only ever had x-rays taken of limbs or chest, in which case they would lay a lead skirt over the waist to protect reproductive organs). I don't think I own any diapers (even the H&L ones) that are completely free of snaps! I have considered that for a MRI I'd need to make sure not to bring Softbums since they do contain metal (metal springs in the toggles that are used to adjust the elastic).

• September 14, 2016 at 8:35 pm

• September 14, 2016 at 8:35 pm

Wow! I hope my diaper wearing chil never needs an xray or MRI but this is great info for me to know. Now I can refer this article if, God forbid, a little cloth wearing baby I know is in need of one. Thanks!

• September 14, 2016 at 8:35 pm