Expecting our 4th baby, I think I’ve heard it all! I’m not sure why, but people feel the need to say something to pregnant women. Friends, family…complete and total strangers…the weird guy next to me in line at the grocery store. “Are you going to breastfeed?” “Are you having a vaginal delivery” from complete strangers! The list goes on and on! Here’s a short list of 10 things to Never say to a pregnant woman, and suggestions if you are searching to say something.
1. Are you sure there’s only one baby in there?
Yes…I had an ultrasound…
Well, one could be hiding behind the other.
2. Wow! You’re getting really big! How much longer do you have to go…?!
I am growing a human being!
3. Were you trying for a boy/girl? I bet you want a boy/girl.
I was trying for a baby…
4. Wast this pregnancy planned?!
It doesn’t matter, here comes a baby!
5. Are you sure you should be eating that?!
I’m craving burritos, are you going to stand between me and a burrito? That will not turn out well for you.
6. That’s going to be a HUGE baby!
You have no idea how big this baby will be. Neither does the ultrasound, which can be way off.
7. Are you delivering vaginally? – often follows #6
Unless you personally assisted with getting this baby in, or out… we’re not talking about my vagina.
8. My Sister/Mother/Friend/Colleague/Roomate’s baby passed/miscarried. Are you worried about that?
I wasn’t until you said that. (Amazon Affiliate banners below)
9. How old are you? Aren’t you old to have a baby?
If I’m pregnant when I’m 90 I would consider discussing this with you, otherwise…no…just no.
10. Wow…you and your husband must not have television!
Yes we do, we also have sex.We also have TV…neither are your business!!
When you’re out and about, and you see a pregnant woman…and have a burning desire to say something. Even if you’re thinking, OMG that woman looks exhausted, like she hasn’t slept in weeks and has been eating gigantic burritos (my last pregnancy craving)…Here are a few things you should say:
- You are glowing!
- You look fantastic!
- I’m so happy for you!
- What a beautiful time this is!
- You are a baby growing goddess!
If you can’t come up with anything constructive to say to an expecting Mama (who is probably feeling a bit self-conscious, worried and tired) then just smile. You can’t ever go wrong with a smile! As always, thanks for stopping by! I really appreciate a follow on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram and love to network on Google and LinkedIn. Companies care about these numbers when deciding which bloggers to select to review products etc. So thank you for following! Want to work together? E-mail MamaBananasAdventures@gmail.com